Who can Adopt:
As per Juvenile Justice (Care & Protection of Children) Act 2000 as amended from time to time the court may allow a child to be given in adoption-
- to a person irrespective of marital status; or
- to parents to adopt a child of the same sex irrespective of the number of living biological sons or daughters, or
- to a childless couple
Additional Eligibility Criteria:
- 2 years of stable relationship in case PAPs are married.
- To adopt children in the age group of 0-3 years, the maximum composite age of the PAPs should be 90 years wherein the individual age of the PAPs should not be less than 25 years and more than 50 years.
- To adopt children above three years of age, the maximum composite age of thePAPs should be 105 years wherein the individual age of the PAPs should not be less than 25 years and more than 55 years.
- A single PAPs desiring to adopt should not be less than 30 and more than 50. The maximum age shall be 40 years to adopt children in the age group of 0-3 years and 50 years for adopting children above 3 years.
- PAPs should have adequate financial resources to provide a good upbringing to the child.
- PAPs should have good health and should not be suffering from any contagious or terminal disease or any such mental or physical condition which may prevent them from taking care of the child.
- A second adoption is permissible only when the legal adoption of the first child has been finalized.
- Single male is not permitted to adopt a girl child.