Get Amniocentesis, amniotic test done at IVF Jindal Chandigarh. It is a procedure to diagnose down syndrome in baby or abnormal pregnancy using amniotic fluid test
What it means?
It means taking out amniotic fluid from the pockets of fluid surrounding the baby and submitting this fluid to a genetic laboratory for various tests.
Who are suitable candidates?
Various indications for amniocentesis are:-
- Abnormal triple test
- Suspicion of genetic abnormalities on ultrasound
- Known genetic disease in family e.g. Thalassaemia, DMD, etc.
- Older women
- Previously affected baby
Who should not get amniocentesis?
- History of recurrent abortions
- Normal NIPT
- Confirmed abnormality on ultrasound
- Vaginal bleeding
What are its main steps?
- Counselling and consent
- Aspiration of amniotic fluid under local anaesthesia and ultrasound guidance
- Dispatch the sample to genetic laboratory FISH test or karyotype
- Receipt of report
- Reassurance and counselling if normal
- MTP if abnormal
- Highly reliable and confirmatory test
- Simple and safe day care procedure
- No after care required
- Abortion risk > 5 to 1%
- Rarely failure of lab to give a report
- Delay of 2-3 weeks in getting the report
- Not all diseases can be diagnosed
- Limited genetic labs
- Amniocentesis can only be done in authorized centres and authorized laboratories only can test the samples.
- MTP can only be done before 20 weeks.
- Appropriate forms and records need to be filled and saved.