Dr. Umesh N. Jindal
Dr. Umesh N Jindal is a pioneer; a dynamic and progressive leader with over 30 years of experience in the field of infertility.
She was the first to start specialized infertility treatments and services in Chandigarh including assisted reproduction techniques such as Intra-uterine-insemination (IUI), In-vitro fertilization (IVF) and Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI). Thousands of babies have been born with these techniques. Her centre Jindal IVF and Sant Memorial Nursing Home in Sector 20 is well equipped with a state of art and ICMR and ISAR accredited IVF laboratory and equipment. Comprehensive infertility services including endoscopy, IVF-ET, ICSI, sperm bank, embryo cryofreezing, ICSI with testicular sperm and assisted hatching are provided at this centre with excellent results.
She obtained her post-graduation in Obstetrics and Gynaecology with honours medal from the premier medical institution of north India – the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGI), Chandigarh in 1980 after graduating from Government Medical College, Patiala in 1977. Dr Jindal subsequently served as a senior resident and as an Assistant Professor in the WHO (CCR program) at the same Institute. She worked as a Fellow in Maternal Fetal medicine from 1982-83 at the University of Washington Seattle USA. She received her IVF/ICSI training at the Institute of Human Reproduction, Kolkata India and Reproductive Science Associates, Kansas City, USA. She has also been a visitor to many other IVF centres in USA, India and Turkey.
At PGI Chandigarh during her tenure as an Assistant Professor WHO/CCR and in charge of the infertility clinic she was actively engaged in clinical research, teaching and organizational activities related to human reproduction. Some of the research projects related to infertility and sponsored by the WHO on which she worked were: i) Investigation and diagnosis of infertile couple; ii) Epidemiology of infertility; iii) ATP in semen – its significance in management of infertility; iv) Treatment of oligospermia with Clomiphene citrate. She has continued her research activities in practice also. She has served as a guide for PhD fellows, various trainees and research fellows. She has more than 40 publications in the national and international journals. She is a reviewer for the many international journals.
Dr Jindal is a member of several professional associations such as the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology(ESHRE), Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction (ISAR), Indian Fertility Society (IFS), Indian Society for Fertility Preservation (ISFP), Indian Society of Perinatology and Reproductive Biology (ISOPARB), Federation of Obstetrics and Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI), National Association of Voluntary Sterilization and Family Planning of India (NARCHI), and Indian Medical Association (IMA) and Indian Menopause Society (IMS). She was the founder of the Chandigarh Obstetrics and Gynaecology Society and Greater Chandigarh Chapter of IFS. She was vice president of IFS for year 2013-2015 and has held important offices in regional and national societies.
Teaching and training is her passion. The centre is recognized by the FOGSI for ultrasound training and many candidates have already gone through the programme. The centre also imparts short term training in various fields of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART); currently almost 44 doctors have undergone these training courses As of today 33 doctors have been trained in infertility management and Assisted Reproduction Techniques, seven in embryology as a part of job cum training programme; one PhD student completed her thesis in collaboration with university of Adelaide Australia while another student is enrolled for Phd in collaboration with Punjabi university Patiala. Several students of this institute are performing IVF and ultrasound after obtaining appropriate authorization.
She is instrumental in starting a fellowship program in assisted reproduction techniques by the Indian Fertility Society. Under this program the candidates undergo one year training program at various recognized institutes in India and are awarded a degree by the IFS.
She is an accomplished speaker and invited as faculty member for many national international and regional conferences. She has delivered numerous lectures and chaired multiple scientific sessions. She has presented her research work at many scientific conferences in India and abroad. She is an icon in the dissemination of medical knowledge in the region. The 12th National congress of Indian Society of Assisted Reproduction on ART and Advanced Infertility Management (ISAR-2007) and Fertivision 2008 was held by her at Chandigarh. The 4th National Conference of Indian Fertility Society was hosted and organized by Dr. Jindal in Feb. 2007 and 2008 respectively. In addition more than 13 regional conferences have been also organized so far which are attended by delegates from all over North India.
She is also active in the social field. She has started an adoption facilitation centre to help infertile couples to adopt babies through proper channels from government recognized centres.
- Jan 1978 to June 82 , Feb 1984 to Aug 85 (Six year junior & Senior residency program) Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology PGIMER, Chandigarh, India.
- Sept. 82 to Sept. 83,( Research Fellow) Dept. of Foetal-maternal Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, U.S.A
- Sept. 1985 to Nov. 1989, (Assistant Professor, WHO/CCR), Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India.
- March 1990,Training in IVF with Prof B N Chakravarty, Institute of Human Reproduction Salt Lake City, Calcutta.
- October 1994, Training in IVF with Prof B N Chakravarty Institute of Human Reproduction, Salt Lake City, Calcutta.
- August 1999, Training in ICSI with Dr. B.S. Minhas, Reproductive Research Associates and Integra Med. America, Kansas city, U.S.A.
- Dec. 89 – Oct. 31. 2004, Gyane. & Fertility Research Centre, CMC (Chuttani Medical Centre), SCO – 52-54, Sec. 17 – C, Chandigarh.
- Nov. 04 – till date Director, & Consultant Infertility Specialist, Jindal IVF & Sant Memorial Nursing Home, # 3050, Sec. 20 – D, Chandigarh and Jindal Clinics, SCO 21, Sector 20 D, Chandigarh.
Membership of Scientific Societies:
- Member, American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)
- Member European Society of human reproduction and embryology. (ESHRE)
- Member, Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction (ISAR)
- Member Indian Fertility Society (IFS) (Founder Member)
- Member, Federation of Obstetric and Gynecological Societies of India (FOGSI)
- Member of FIGO, (International Federation of Obstetrics & Gynecology) (FIGO)
- Member Obstetric & Gynecological Society of Northern India
- Member, Indian Society of Perinatology and Reproductive Biology (ISOPARB)
- Member, Indian Medical Association (IMA)
- Member Indian Menopause Society (IMS)
- Chandigarh Obstetrics & Gynecology Society. (COGS) (Founder Member)
- Member of Indian Fertility Preservation Society (IFPS)
- Jindal U.N., Malhotra S. and Devi P.K. Vaginal agenesis, association with par ovarian cyst- a diagnostic riddle. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of India: 1982; 32 602-603.
- Jindal U.N. Role of FOGSI member bodies and FOGSI members in reducing maternal mortality and perinatal mortality in India. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India.1988; 38 247-249.
- Malhotra S. and Jindal U.N. Management of tuberculosis during pregnancy. Indian Journal of tuberculosis 1988; 38:138-140.
- Jindal U.N., Gupta I. and Dhall G.I. Endometriosis and infertility. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India. 1989; 39: 702-705.
- Jindal U.N., Dhall G.I., Dhall K. and Gupta A.N. Causes of Maternal Mortality in a tertiary care center in Northern India. Journal of Obstetrics and gynaecology of India. 1989; 39: 787-79
- Malhotra S., Jindal U.N. Clinical behaviour of hydatidiform mole. Journal of Indian Medical Association 1989; 87: 157-159.
- Dhaliwal L.K, Barik S, Jindal U.N. and Gopalan S. Unusual presentation of conjoined twins-A case report. Bullentin PGI, Chandigarh 1990; 24: 39-43.
- Jindal U.N. Management of infertility in females. PGI Drugs Bulletin 2000; 24(3):1-26
- Jindal U.N. Assisted Reproduction Techniques. Current Medical Journal– North Zone; 2000: VI (5); 15-20.
- Jindal U.N. Gonadotrophins – releasing hormone Analogues. Current Medical Journal-North Zone; 2000; V(ii): 15-18.
- Jindal U.N., Bhasin N. ICSI- Hope for infertile men. Current Medical Journal- North Zone: 2002: VIII (8); 21-24.
- Jindal U.N. Pregnancy above forty. Current Medical Journal-North Zone IX. 2003; IX(2):63-65.
- Jindal U.N., Bhasin N. Tuberculosis and Infertility. Current Medical Journal- North Zone 2003; IX (6):19-22.
- Jindal U.N. Management of endometriosis. Current Medical Journal of India; Vol X, No. 9 2004 p 29-32
- Jindal U.N. Gn RH-antagonists in controlled ovarian hyperstimulation protocol in assisted reproductive technique programmes-current concepts. JIMA 2006; 104 (08): 450-456.
- Nanda S, Jindal U N, Pandit V L. Pelvic actinomycosis associated with long term use of intrauterine contraceptive device. J Obset Gynecol India; 2010: Vol. 60, No. 4, pg 345-347.
Chapter in Books
- Jindal S.K. and Jindal U.N. Computers in the hospital administration. in: Hospital administration and management.(1991) Ed. Goel S.L., Kumar R., pp 213-231, Publ. Deep and Deep Publications, New Delhi.
- Jindal U N .IUI lab setup. In: Step by step Intrauterine Insemination, editor: Surveen Ghuman Sindu 2008; Page 151-178. Pub: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
- Jindal U N. Sperm preparation techniques for IUI. In: Step by step Intrauterine Insemination, editor: Surveen Ghuman Sindu. 2008; Page 91-106 Pub: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher (P) Ltd.
- Dr. Umesh Jindal, Dr Swati Verma, Luteal Phase Support in Principals and practices in Assisted Reproduction Techniques (Edi. Kamini Rao 2013, pp 604-610).
- Jindal UN, Sharma N. Complications of Ovulation Induction in World Cllin Obstet Gynaecol 2015;4(2) ;306-28
- Jindal UN, Jindal S. Ovulation Induction in hypogonadotropic hypogonadism eds Ghumman S Principles and Practice of Controlled Ovarian stimulation in ART Springer India 2015, 357-68.
- Jindal UN, Dhall GI, Vasishta K, Dhall K, Wahi PL. Effect of maternal cardiac disease on perinatal outcome. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 1988; 28(2) : 113-5.
- Jindal UN, Gupta AN. Social problems of infertile women in India. Int J Fertil. 1989; 34(1): 30-33.
- Jindal UN, Jindal SK, Dhall GI. Short course chemotherapy for endometrial tuberculosis in infertile women. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1990; 32(1):75-6.
- Jindal UN, Dhall GI. Psychosexual problems of infertile women in India. Int J Fertil. 1990; 35(4): 222-5.
- Jindal UN. An algorithmic approach to female genital tuberculosis causing infertility. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2006; 10(9):1045-50.
- Mahajan NN, Turnbull DA, Davies MJ, Jindal UN, Briggs NE, Taplin JE. Adjustment to infertility: the role of intrapersonal and interpersonal resources/ vulnerabilities. Hum Reprod. 2009; 24(4): 906-12.
- Jindal U.N., Y.B. Verma, S. Sodhi, S. Verma. Comparative evaluation of laparoscopy and endometrial polymerase chain reaction for the diagnosis of female genital tuberculosis in infertile women in India. Fertility and Sterility: 2010; 90: S152, P 128
- Mahajan NN, Turnbull DA, Davies MJ, Jindal UN, Briggs NE, Taplin JE. Changes in affect and state anxiety across an in vitro fertilization /intracytoplasmic sperm injection cycle. Fertil Steril. 2010; 93(2): 517-26.
- Jindal UN, Jindal S. Use by gynecologists of a modified sensate focus technique to treat vaginismus causing infertility. Fertil Steril. 2010; 94(6): 2393-5.
- Jindal UN, Bala Y, Sodhi S, Verma S, Jindal S. Female genital tuberculosis: early diagnosis by laparoscopy and endometrial polymerase chain reaction. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2010; 14(12): 1629-34.
- Jindal, U.N.; Bala, Y.; Sodhi, S.; Verma, S.; Jindal, S. In reply to ‘Early diagnosis of female genital tuberculosis by laparoscopy and endometrial polymerase chain reaction’ [Correspondence] The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, 2011; 15, pp. 1135
- Jindal UN, Verma S, Bala Y. Favorable infertility outcomes following anti-tubercular treatment prescribed on the sole basis of a positive polymerase chain reaction test for endometrial tuberculosis. Hum Reprod. 2012; 27(5): 1368-74.
- Jindal UN Reply: Endometrial TB-PCR positivity in women with unexplained infertility with no visible, microbiological or histopathological evidence of disease in a high TB burden area: whether to ignore or treat Hum Reprod. 2013; 28(12): 3378.
- Jindal UN, Reply: endometrial TB-PCR positivity in women with unexplained infertility with no visible, microbiological or histopathological evidence of disease in a high TB burden area: whether to ignore or treat. Hum Reprod. 2013; 28(12): 3378.
- Jindal U.N Dhaliwal L.K., and Dhall G.I. Female genital tuberculosis and infertility. XV Eastern Regional International tuberculosis meeting, Dec 1987; Lahore pp 302-307.
- Dhaliwal L.K., Jindal U.N., Panigrahi D. and Dhall G.I. Routine screening for genital tuberculosis in infertile women – A cost effectiveness analysis. XV Eastern Regional International Union against Tuberculosis meeting, Lahore, Pakistan. Dec 1987; pp 297-299.
- Jindal S.K. and Jindal U.N. To tell or not to tell–Professional norm and practices in the care of dying. Proceedings of International conference on, Health policy, ethics and human values, New Delhi, March, 1986.
- Khera K.R., Jindal U.N., Dhaliwal L.K., Gupta I, and Dhall G.I. Evaluation of tubal factor by diagnostic laparoscopy. Proceedings of the 31st All India Obstetrics and Gynaecology Congress, 28- 30th Dec. 1987, Jaipur.
- Jindal U.N. Chemotherapy of epithelial ovarian cancer and its impact on survival of patients. Proceedings of the Continuing Medical Education Programme in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 32nd All India Obstetric and Gynaecological Congress, Mysore, 27th Dec. 1988.
- Jindal U.N. Pathophysiology of luteal phase. Proceedings of 3rd National Congress on assisted reproductive technology and advances in infertility management pp 1997; 83-86.